Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quote of the Week: Bamboo Politics

“I want more Taiwanese to understand that the only way to maintain the ‘status quo’ across the Taiwan Strait is to complete negotiations on the ‘one country, two systems’ [principle] with the CCP.  I hope I can do something to push peaceful unification as long as I am alive.”
“If I committed any crime, it might have been my involvement with a crime syndicate.  However, what matters is whether a person is involved in the crime the syndicate commits rather than whether that person is in the crime organization.”
Chang An-le (張安樂), also known as “White Wolf” and a fugitive former leader of the Bamboo Union gang, established the China Unification Promotion Party in September 2005.  Chang currently lives in China and could be arrested if he returned to Taiwan (though personally I believe the police will be ordered to give him a free pass pending an 'investigation' into any 'irregularities' Chang may have committed)


Subtext of Chang's comments: A crime syndicate is a normal business organisation whose member's are not criminals by virtue of their membership but only on account of specific actions taken by them that might constitute crime.