Monday, June 12, 2006

Virtual Photography


I like video games, I like video games a lot! I think video games are as good as fried chicken. They keep getting better looking, and now many of them offer "photo" modes so that you can take pictures of what you are seeing. To me there's no point in using that feature if you can't transfer the images to another medium, like your computer.


I've wasted a lot of time this spring playing my xbox 360. I've been trying to convince my dad to get one. He's a big car guy, so I thought he'd be impressed with this game Project Gotham Racing. It has a good photomode but you can only look at the photos you take in the game itself. That's frustrating because it means you can't show your images or describe it to anyone who doesn't have an xbox 360 and also the game. So I figured out how to take pictures of the television screen in a way that doesn't degrade the image too badly, and overcomes the refresh rate issue (for the most part). I can finally share my videogame pictures outside of the stupid game console. Yes, it's been killing me. I bet whoever is reading this is sooooo excited. Ha... These are all pictures I took of my in-game photos from some of the replays of my races.


I think they look great considering they are just pictures of a television screen. Even clicking on these to see the larger versions they still look great, a little softer than what you'd actually see, but far better than my former attempts at taking stupid pictures of a T.V. screen. Project Gotham is alright as a racing game, but these first games that have come out for this current "next" generation look good enough that I'm very excited about what things will be like a few years down the road.







If you mess with the depth of field then for some reason the cars on the tracks come out looking like little miniature cars. To me they actually look more realistic than the other shots. It's just that they look like more realistic miniature plastic cars than they would otherwise. The ones below came out looking like that.