Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mystery Solved

One day i came home and saw a 3 foot long icicle sticking up out of the middle of my roof. During my life i've noticed that things in general fall straight down, and in this situation there was nothing straight up to fall from. I wondered if a kid had managed to throw a 3 foot icicle that high without breaking it.

The next day the mystery was solved. About two feet to the left another icicle quickly approaching 3 feet was spotted where there had been none before. This one was hanging appropriately from the corner of the roof. That made me remember that a few days prior we'd had some very high winds. So, i presume that the winds broke off the aforementioned icicle and blew it horizontally two feet in the time it took to fall into the snow below. Pretty impressive winds, in my opinion.