Monday, March 26, 2007

My review of Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Auto Focus Lens for Canon EOS Cameras

Originally submitted at Adorama

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Auto Focus Lens for Canon EOS Cameras


Excellent build quality, depth of field
By Atom from Anchorage on 3/26/2007

 

5 out of 5

Pros: Easily Mounted, Long warranty period, Strong Construction, Excellent depth of field, Easily Accessible Controls

Cons: Long auto focus time, Heavy

Describe Yourself: Getting started, Professional

Best Uses: Unique point of view, Vr photography

Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

My primary use for the lense is cutting down on the number of photos for the VR's that I make for clients. It certainly does it's job but of course reduces total resolution of my final stitched image. It would not be suitable for my higher end VR work, at least not without a very high megapixel camera.

I was very surprised at the incredible depth of field, and that immediately motivated me to get creative with it in my still photography. It has excellent construction, and mine came with an incredible 4-year warranty.

A few notes on the negative side, it does seem to cause my camera's meter to give underexposed readings, and there does seem to be more chromatic aberration than i would like around the periphery of the images.

All in all though, I'm very happy with it.

(legalese)