Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Alive!

I've been taking this search and rescue class this semester and part of the class involved a lot of discussion of that story Alive about the survivors of a plane crash in the Peruvian Andes. Something that struck me about the story was how many attempts the guys made to climb to the top of this ridge so that they could get a better idea of where there were. They made like 5 attempts to get up this thing and kept turning back. I just didn't understand what the big deal was.

All last week i had an excess of energy every morning. I would go running, and then the next day i didn't feel like i'd been running at all so i would go again, until i decided i needed to really get some exercise. I went up into the mountains on Thursday, and since it started out as a really nice day, i figured i'd do a little experiment. I decided i would try and climb half way up a mountain on an empty stomach, to better ascertain what these guys were going through.


So i got to the trail and i was already hungry, but pretty energetic. I was happy to discover, once i had to leave the trail, that the snow was seriously glazed, so that i really didn't need the snowshoes i brought. The south side of the ridge i was climbing had a lot of newly exposed bare mud and rock too, so i made my way over to that area of the mountain. It was kind of surprising what happened as i got hungrier and got to the steepest parts of the ridge.

If i'm at work or school and don't eat i find it very difficult to think. After climbing for over two hours, my head was still perfectly clear, but my body was having a terrible time. I was loosing a lot of strength in my feet, and coordination when trying to find good footing, so i ended up stumbling or stubbing my boot. My willpower was seriously sapped. I no longer had any desire to continue at all, i just kept doing it out of stubbornness. I really wanted a burrito. Not only that but the weather was going downhill.

I did make it to the top, and that was nice since i'd never been up there in non-summer conditions. Fisher was upset that i hadn't brought any food for him either, so he was eager to leave. On the way down i met a group of a dozen British people who apparently thought late April was a great time to head to Alaska. But all in all, the trip helped me understand how those guys in the Andes could have such a hard time, especially since i'd had a good night sleep, and had only gone for a night without nourishment